A waiver is an extra set of Health First Colorado (Colorado's Medicaid Program) benefits that you could qualify for in certain cases. These benefits can help you remain in your home and community. Waivers have extra program rules and some programs may have waitlists.
The Home and Community-Based Services Waiver For Persons With Developmental Disabilities (DD) provides access to 24-hour, seven days a week supervision through Residential Habilitation and Day Habilitation Services and Supports. The service provider is responsible to support individuals in services to find living arrangements. Living arrangements can range from host homes settings with 1-2 persons, individualized settings of 1-3 persons, and group settings of 4-8 persons, as well as residential supports for participants who live in their own home or who live with and/or are provided services by members of their family.
Individuals who receive services through the DD waiver are also eligible for all Health First Colorado covered services as long as they are not duplicative.
To enroll in the DD waiver, you must meet financial and program criteria:
Level of Care
- Intermediate Care Facility for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities (ICF-IID) level of care as determined by the functional needs assessment(as defined in 42 CFR 440.150).
- You must be determined to have a developmental disability.
- You must be 18 years or older.
- You must require access to services and supports 24 hours a day.
- Your income must be less than three times the current Federal Supplemental Security Income (SSI) limit per month. (See SSI website for current information)
- For a single person, countable resources must be less than $2,000.
- For a couple, countable resources must be less than $3,000.
Benefits and Services
If you are enrolled in the DD waiver, you may receive the following services to address needs:
- Behavioral Services
- Day Habilitation Services (Specialized Habilitation, Supported Community Connections)
- HCBS Dental Services
- Home Delivered Meals
- Non-Medical Transportation
- Peer Mentorship
- Prevocational Services
- Residential Habilitation Services (24-hour individual or group)
- Specialized Medical Equipment and Supplies
- Supported Employment
- Transition Set Up
- Vision Services
How to Apply
- Submit Case Management Agency Complaint
- COVID-19 Page
- HCBS Waivers Page
- View Waiver Charts
- Find HCBS Service Providers
- Home and Community Based Services Supported Living Services (HCBS-SLS) Waiver
- Home and Community Based Services Children's Extensive Support (HCBS-CES) Waiver
- View HCBS Public Comment Opportunities
- Other Long-Term Services and Supports Programs
Documents and Memos
- HCBS-DD and SLS Waiver Dental Service Fact Sheet for Members - December 2021
- HCBS-DD and SLS Waiver Dental Service Fact Sheet for Case Managers and Service Providers - December 2021
- Developmental Disability and Delay Determinations FAQ - April 2020
- Request for Developmental Disability Determination Form - April 2019
- Supports Intensity Scale (SIS) and Support Level Quick Reference Sheet
- Supports Intensity Scale (SIS) Case Management Tools
- Redesign Workgroup for Waivers Serving Adults with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
- Colorado's plans to meet the requirements contained in the federal HCBS Settings rule
- Rate schedule for this waiver
- Billing manual for the HCBS-DD Waiver