The Health First Colorado Buy-In Program for Working Adults with Disabilities lets adults with a disability who qualify to "buy-into" Health First Colorado (Colorado's Medicaid Program). If you work and earn too much to qualify for Health First Colorado you may qualify. If you qualify, you pay a monthly premium. Your monthly premium is based on your gross monthly earned and unearned income after any applicable disregards.
- You must be between 16 and 64 years old,
- You must be employed,
- You must have a qualifying disability. The Social Security Administration (SSA) listings describe what disabilities qualify, and
- Your income after disregards must be below 450% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL). For example, you can earn about $10,279 a month and qualify. You may have additional income that is disregarded.
- Applicants should always complete the Health First Colorado Application to find out if their income qualifies.
You are not required to apply for SSA disability. If you do not have a current disability determination from the Social Security Administration, fill out the Health First Colorado Disability Application and on the How To Apply page. We will determine if you qualify using the Social Security Administration (SSA) listings, without regard to your substantial gainful activity or your ability to work.
Benefits and Services
You will get regular Health First Colorado benefits. You may also qualify for extra long-term services and supports. These additional services are accessed through the following Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) waivers:
- Brain Injury Waiver
- Community Mental Health Supports Waiver
- Elderly, Blind and Disabled Waiver
- Spinal Cord Injury Waiver
- Supported Living Services Waiver
What Does It Cost?
You have to pay monthly premiums based on your income to be in the program. The more you make, the more you pay.
Effective Date: April 1, 2022 based on 2022 FPL
|Federal Poverty Level (FPL)||Monthly Income for an Individual||You Pay Each Month|
|41-133%||$454 - $1,507*||$25|
|134-200%||$1,508 - $2,265*||$90|
|201-300%||$2,266 - $3,398*||$130|
|301-450%||$3,399 - $5,097*||$200|
*Some people earning more may still qualify.
How to Apply
- Complete Medical application online at Colorado.gov/PEAK
- In person
- By phone at 1-800-221-3943 / State Relay: 711
- By mail
For more information on how to apply, see our How to Apply page.
For more details about this program, see our Health First Colorado Buy-In Program page.
If you have more questions about this program call the direct line to Buy-In Experts: Toll Free 1-800-711-6994 or contact the Member Contact Center.
August 2021 - The Colorado Office of Employment First (COEF) is proud to announce Colorado’s newest employment resource, Colorado Disability Benefits 101 (CO DB101). This online tool is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to Coloradans with disabilities to address the fear of losing benefits by investigating the questions a career seeker has around “What happens to my benefits when I work?” CO DB101 is aimed to support individuals with disabilities in exploring career options and increasing financial independence.