The Home and Community-Based Supported Living Services (HCBS-SLS) waiver serves adults with intellectual or developmental disabilities. A waiver is an extra set of Health First Colorado (Colorado's Medicaid program) benefits that you could qualify for in certain cases. These benefits can help you remain in your home and community. Waivers have extra program rules and some programs may have waitlists.
The Supported Living Services (SLS) waiver provides necessary services and supports for individuals with adults with intellectual or developmental disabilities so they can remain in their homes and communities with minimal impact to individuals' community and social supports. The SLS waiver promotes individual choice and decision-making through the individualized planning process and the tailoring of services and supports to address prioritized, unmet needs. In addition, this waiver is designed to supplement existing natural supports and traditional community resources with targeted and cost-effective services and supports.
The person receiving services is responsible for his or her living arrangements which can include living with family or in their own home. Up to three persons receiving services can live together. Participants on this waiver do not require twenty-four (24) hour supervision on a continuous basis for services and supports offered on this waiver.
Individuals who receive services through the SLS waiver are also eligible for all Health First Colorado covered services as long as they are not duplicative.
View the full text of the SLS waiver and Waiver Lifecycle
To enroll in the HCBS-SLS waiver the individual must meet financial and program criteria:
- Level of Care
- Individuals must meet Intermediate Care Facility for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities (ICF-IID) level of care as determined by the functional needs assessment (as defined in 42 CFR § 440.150)
- Eligibility Group
- Individuals must be determined by a Community Centered Board (CCB) to have a developmental disability
- Individuals must be 18 years or older
- Your income must be less than three times the current Federal Supplemental Security Income (SSI) limit per month. (See SSI website for current information)
- For a single person, their countable resources must be less than $2,000 and for a couple it must be less than $3,000.
- If you do not meet these financial requirements, you may be eligible through the Health First Colorado Buy-In Program for Working Adults with Disabilities.
SLS Waiver Services
- Assistive Technology
- Behavioral Services
- Consumer Directed Attendant Support Services (CDASS)
- Day Habilitation Services (Specialized Habilitation, Supported Community Connections)
- HCBS Dental Services
- Health Maintenance Activities
- Home Delivered Meals
- Home Modifications
- Homemaker Services
- Life Skills Training
- Non-Medical Transportation
- Peer Mentorship
- Personal Care Services
- Personal Emergency Response System (PERS)
- Prevocational Services
- Professional Services (Includes Hippotherapy, Massage & Movement Therapy)
- Respite Services
- Specialized Medical Equipment and Supplies
- Supported Employment
- Transition Set Up
- Vehicle Modifications
- Vision Services
How to Apply
If you have additional questions about this waiver, please contact your local Community Centered Board (CCB) or the Member Contact Center.
- Submit Case Management Agency Complaint
- SLS Waiver Exception Review Process
- COVID-19 Page
- HCBS Waivers Page
- View Waiver Charts
- Find HCBS Service Providers
- Home and Community Based Services for Persons with Developmental Disabilities (HCBS-DD) Waiver
- Home and Community Based Services Children's Extensive Support (HCBS-CES) Waiver
- View HCBS Public Comment Opportunities
- Other Long-Term Services and Supports Programs
Documents and Memos
- HCBS-DD and SLS Waiver Dental Service Fact Sheet for Members - December 2021
- HCBS-DD and SLS Waiver Dental Service Fact Sheet for Case Managers and Service Providers - December 2021
- Supports Intensity Scale (SIS) and Support Level Quick Reference Sheet
- Supports Intensity Scale (SIS) Case Management Tools
- Colorado's plans to meet the requirements contained in the federal HCBS Settings rule
- Rate schedule for this waiver
- Billing manual