A waiver is an extra set of Health First Colorado (Colorado's Medicaid program) benefits that you could qualify for in certain cases. These benefits can help you remain in your home and community. Waivers have extra program rules and some programs may have waitlists.
The Children's Extensive Support (CES) Waiver helps children and families by providing services and supports that will help children with a developmental disability establish a long-term foundation for community inclusion as they grow into adulthood.
Children who receive services through the CES waiver are also eligible for all Health First Colorado covered services as long as they are not duplicative.
Level of Care
- Children must meet Intermediate Care Facility for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities (ICF/IID) level of care which is determined by the Functional Needs Assessment (ICF/IID services are defined in the Code of Federal Regulations: 42 CFR § 440.150)
Children in this program:
- Are less than eighteen years of age
- Have been determined to have a developmental disability which includes developmental delay if under five (5) years of age
- Live in the family home
- Demonstrate a behavior or have a medical condition that requires direct human intervention, more intense than a verbal reminder, redirection or brief observation of status, at least once every two hours during the day and on a weekly average of once every three hours during the night. The behavior or medical condition must be considered beyond what is typically age appropriate.
- Are determined to meet the Federal Social Security Administration's definition of disability
- Children must meet the Health First Colorado financial determination for Long-Term Services and Supports eligibility. Financial determination requirements are outlined in the Colorado Code of Regulations 10 CCR 2505-10, Section 8.100.
Benefits and Services
- Adaptive Therapeutic Recreational Equipment and Fees
- Assistive Technology
- Community Connector
- Home Accessibility Adaptations
- Homemaker Services
- Parent Education
- Professional Services
- Respite Care
- Specialized Medical Equipment and Supplies
- Vehicle Adaptations
- Youth Day
How to Apply
Other Useful Links
- Submit Case Management Agency Complaint
- COVID-19 Page
- HCBS Waivers Page
- View Waiver Charts
- Find HCBS Service Providers
- View HCBS Public Comment Opportunities
- Colorado's plans to meet the requirements contained in the federal HCBS Settings rule
- Rate schedule for this waiver
- Billing manual
- Home and Community Based Services for Persons with Developmental Disabilities (HCBS-DD) Waiver
- Home and Community Based Services Supported Living Services (HCBS-SLS) Waiver
- Other Long-Term Services and Supports Programs