Children's Extensive Support Waiver (CES)

A waiver is an extra set of Health First Colorado (Colorado's Medicaid program) benefits that you could qualify for in certain cases. These benefits can help you remain in your home and community. Waivers have extra program rules and some programs may have waitlists.

The Children's Extensive Support Waiver helps children and families by providing services and supports that will help children establish a long-term foundation for community inclusion as they grow into adulthood.

View the full text of the CES waiver

Who Qualifies?

Level of Care

  • Children must meet Intermediate Care Facility for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities (ICF/IID) level of care which is determined by the Functional Needs Assessment (ICF/IID services are defined in the Code of Federal Regulations: 42 CFR § 440.150)

Eligibility Group

Children in this program:

  • Are less than eighteen years of age
  • Have been determined to have a developmental disability which includes developmental delay if under five (5) years of age
  • Live in the family home
  • Demonstrate a medical or behavioral condition that is so intense that almost constant line of sight supervision is required to keep the child and others safe
  • Are determined to meet the Federal Social Security Administration's definition of disability


  • Children must meet the Health First Colorado financial determination for Long-Term Services and Supports eligibility. Financial determination requirements are outlined in the Colorado Code of Regulations 10 CCR 2505-10, Section 8.100.

Benefits and Services

How to Apply

If you have questions about this waiver, or to learn more about how to apply, contact the Member Contact Center or your local Community Centered Board (CCB).

Other Useful Links