The Private Duty Nursing (PDN) program provides skilled nursing services on a continuous basis to Health First Colorado members in their place of residence. A plan of care as ordered by the attending physician is developed by the Home Health agency. The plan of care is reviewed periodically by the physician.
The Department is extending the administrative approval process through April 2, 2023. Please see the Private Duty Nursing FAQ for additional information.
- Temporary Private Duty Nursing PAR Process Timeline - February 2023
- Admin Approval Extension Member Letter - February 2023
Health First Colorado Members who*:
- Require continuous skilled nursing services and meet medical necessity and criteria.
- Are not residing in a nursing facility or hospital at the time PDN services are delivered.
- Are Technology Dependent.
- Have a care plan developed by their physician.
- Are able to be safely served in their home by a home health agency under the agency requirements and limitations of the PDN benefit and with the staff services available.
* = Not an exhaustive list for eligibility
Benefits and Services
- Skilled Nursing Services (provided by a Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse)
- All Private Duty Nursing services must be prior authorized.
Private Duty Nursing Webinars
February 23, 2022
November 10, 2022
- Webinar Recording
- Description: This information session is for members and families, it will include the content covered in the first session with additional updates from the question and answer session.
November 1, 2022
- Webinar Recording
- Description: This information session is geared towards families and includes an overview of recent updates to Private Duty Nursing, addressed frequent questions about the Temporary Administrative Approval process, and provides time for a question and answer period.
- Informational Memo - IM 23-009 - PDN PAR Update for Members, Families and Advocates - March 17, 2023
- Informational Memo - IM 23-010 - PDN PAR Update for Providers - March 17, 2023
- Medical Services Board (MSB) Questions From Stakeholders and Department Responses - December 2022
- Private Duty Nursing FAQ
- Private Duty Nursing Regulations 10 CCR 2505-10 8.540
- Private Duty Nursing Billing Manual
- Colorado PAR Program
- PDN Acuity Tool