What is the Office of Community Living?
The Office of Community Living (OCL) was created by Governor Hickenlooper through an Executive Order in July 2012. OCL works to meet the growing need for long-term services and supports by people with disabilities and aging adults. OCL is an Office within the Department of Health Care Policy & Financing.
Why was the Office of Community Living established?
The nation's population age 65 and older is projected to double between 2010 and 2038. By the end of 2021,the number of older adults in Colorado is expected to increase by 54 percent. This Office helps prepare the state to meet the need for long-term services and supports and focuses attention and resources on meeting the unique needs of aging Coloradans and individuals with disabilities. OCL aligns services and supports so that individuals and their families, do not have to navigate a complicated and fragmented system.
What is the goal of OCL?
The goal of the Office is to provide strategic direction on the redesign of all aspects of the long-term services and supports delivery system, including service models, payment structures and data systems to create efficient and person-centered community-based care.
Guiding principles of the Office are to:
- Provide services in a timely manner with respect and dignity
- Strengthen consumer choice in service provision
- Incorporate best practices in service delivery
- Encourage integrated home-and community-based service delivery
- Involve stakeholders in planning and processes, and
- Incorporate supportive housing
Which agencies other than Health Care Policy and Financing are involved with OCL?
State agencies and divisions working on community living work collaboratively with OCL. Such agencies and divisions include but are not limited to:
- Department of Local Affairs, Division of Housing
- Department of Public Health and Environment
- Department of Human Services
Does OCL have a process for stakeholder input?
OCL ensures active participation by members, families, advocates, providers, communities, and agencies, so that necessary coordination and administration is achieved. See the Office of Community Living Stakeholder Engagement page, which includes an updated online calendar of stakeholder engagement meetings.
How can I find or receive communications from the Office of Community Living?
- View List of Key Contacts in OCL
- Sign up for the Long-Term Services & Supports Stakeholders communication list
- View full list of other newsletters offered by the Department
- View HCPF Memo Series Communications Page
- View Long-Term Services and Supports Programs page
- For more information or questions, contact John Barry at John.R.Barry@state.co.us or 303-866-3173