Regulatory Resource Center

Federal Resources

State Resources

Colorado Revised Statutes Title 25.5

Managed Care Compliance and Reporting

Mental Health Parity

The Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act of 2008 (MHPAEA) requires that Health First Colorado (Colorado's Medicaid program) members are offered behavioral health benefits equal to their medical/surgical benefits. MHPAEA applies to members covered by Medicaid Managed Care Organizations (MCOs), the Alternative Benefit Plan (ABP), and Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP), known as Child Health Plan Plus (CHP+) in Colorado. While this rule applies to members being served through a Medicaid MCO, roughly 133,000 members in the state of Colorado, the state wants to ensure all Medicaid members have similar access to behavioral health and physical health benefits. A summary of Colorado's analysis, conducted by the Department, is found below.


Stakeholder, provider and member feedback and questions regarding the analysis report can be submitted using the form below.
Note: Please do not include Protected Health Information such as your birth date, Health First Colorado ID, Child Health Plan Plus(CHP+) ID, social security number, or personal medical information in the form below. For more information on what is Protected Health Information, see our page on the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).

File a complaint about access to behavioral health care

Your health plan is subject to the Mental Health Parity Addiction Equity Act of 2008. This means that your covered behavioral health benefits cannot be more difficult to access than physical health benefits. A denial, restriction, or withholding of behavioral health services could be a potential violation of the parity act. File a complaint with the Behavioral Health Ombudsman Office of Colorado if you have a parity concern.

Behavioral Health Ombudsman Office of Colorado
Call: 303-866-2789(State Relay: 711)

A representative of the Ombudsman Office will call or reply to you directly. You can also ask your behavioral health provider or guardian/legal representative to file a complaint for you.

Department Resources