Pre-admission Screening and Resident Review (PASRR) program is a federal requirement to help ensure that individuals are not inappropriately placed in nursing homes for long-term care.
Purpose of the PASRR Program
The PASRR program requires pre-screening or reviewing of all clients who apply to or reside in a Medicaid-certified nursing facility regardless of the source of payment for the nursing facility services or The individual's or resident's diagnosis. PASRR consists of two elements:
- PASRR Level I Identification Screening: The purpose of the PASRR Level I Identification screening is to identify for further review all those clients seeking nursing facility admission, for whom it appears a diagnosis of mental illness or intellectual or developmental disability is likely.
- PASRR Level II Evaluation: The purpose of the PASRR Level II evaluation is to evaluate and determine whether nursing facility services are needed, whether an individual has a mental illness or intellectual or developmental disability, and whether specialized mental health or intellectual or developmental disability services are needed. After admission to a nursing facility, Level II Evaluation is also required promptly following any significant change in the resident's condition.
Telligen Tip Sheet - PASRR - Entering Providers - July 2023
PASRR Level 1 Training for Hospitals and Case Management Agencies - May 2023 - (This document was provided by a third party. People using assistive technology may not be able to fully access the information in this file. For assistance, email Margaret.Anderson@state.co.us)
- PASRR Level 1 Desk Aid for Hospitals and Case Management Agencies - May 2023 - (This document was provided by a third party. People using assistive technology may not be able to fully access the information in this file. For assistance, email Margaret.Anderson@state.co.us)
- PASRR Level 1 Demo Recording for Hospitals and Case Management Agencies
- PASRR Level 1 Training for Nursing Facilities - April 4, 2023
PASRR Quarterly Training Presentation - March 29, 2022
- Webinar Recordings - March 29, 2022
PASRR Introduction Presentation - February 9, 2021
PASSR Level 1 - Part 1 Presentation - February 16, 2021
PASRR Level 1 - Part 2 Presentation - February 23, 2021
- PASRR Level 1 - Part 2 - Q and A - February 23, 2021
- PASRR Level 1 Screenshots - February 23, 2021
- PASRR Training Video Playlist
- PASRR Sample Level 1 Outcome Letter - Level 2 Required - February 2021
- PASRR Sample Level 1 Outcome Letter - Level 2 Not Needed - February 2021
- PASRR Sample Level 1 Outcome Letter - Provisional Admission - February 2021
- PASRR Sample Print Version of Completed Level 1 Screen - February 2021
Login - myqualitrac.com
Request Status Change Tip Sheet - March 2021
Submit Level I Timings Instructions - July 2021
Timing for Level I Submissions Tip Sheet - July 2021
Submit Level I and Avoid RFI Instructions - July 2021
Avoiding RFI Tip Sheet - July 2021
Compliance Dates - July 2021
Compliance for Cancelled Level II Evaluation - July 2021
Understanding PASRR Specialized Services - Updated April 2023
CO PASRR Evaluation Follow-Up Task Presentation - November 23, 2021
- PASRR Level II Serious Mental Illness - Missing Documentation Request Form
- Exempted Hospital Discharge Form - May 2023
- PASRR Quarterly Psych Census Template - Updated March 28, 2023
Note: Ensure emails containing PHI or PII are sent encrypted
The PASRR quarterly psych census report is a requirement under the Institution for Mental Disease (IMD). "Institution of more than 16 beds that is primarily engaged in providing diagnosis, treatment or care of persons with mental diseases, including medical attention, nursing care, and related services" (42 C.F.R. section 435.1010 (2013)). Nursing Facilities are responsible for ensuring that they meet the assurance that their facilities are not IMD and facilities that meet the primary 50% criterion at a minimum are at serious risk of losing Medicaid dollars.
Send reports by encrypted email to HCPF_PASRRQPsychCensus@state.co.us by the end of the month following the last month of the quarter. Reports are due as follows:
Quarter 1 (January through March) - reports due April 30, 2023
Quarter 2 (April through June) - reports due July 31, 2023
Quarter 3 (July through September) - reports due October 31, 2023
Quarter 4 (October through December) - reports due January 31, 2024
Memos and Guidance
Operational Memo - OM 23-050 - PASRR Exempted Hospital (EHD) Update - August 11, 2023
Operational Memo - OM 23-015 - PASRR COVID-19 Update - March 7, 2023
Operational Memo - OM 21-016 - New PASRR Vendor - February 2, 2021
Operational Memo - OM 20-043 - PASRR COVID-19 Update 2.5 - April 22, 2020
Operational Memo - OM 19-44 PASRR Updates - September 26, 2019
Informational Memo - IM 19-40 - PASRR Transition - June 21, 2019
- PASRR Technical Assistance Center
- COVID-19 Page
- Mental Health Website
- Long-Term Services and Supports Programs
Federal Regulations mandate that the Department of Health Care Policy and Financing (HCPF) must:
- Include PASRR in Health First Colorado State Plan
- Develop plan detailing operation of program
- Bear final responsibility for assuring specialized services are provided for individuals with MMI and/or DD in nursing facilities
- Establish appeals system to protect patient's rights
10 C.C.R. 2505-10, Section 8.401.18
Title 42, Volume 3 Part 483 Subpart C Sec. 483.100 - 483.138
- Phone: 1-833-610-1052 (preferred and fastest response)
- Hours: Monday through Friday - 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Hours: Monday through Friday - 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Email: email@example.com - Note: Do NOT include protected health information or personal identifiable information (PHI or PII) in your email. Encrypted emails cannot be read in the Telligen system and therefore there will be no response.
For PASRR Level II-Mental Illness, PASRR Mental Illness Disability Determinations, or other PASRR inquiries related to mental illness:
- Email: Michelle.Voss@state.co.us (preferred) Note: Ensure emails containing PHI or PII are sent encrypted.
- MI PASRR Cell: 720-646-2881
For PASRR regulatory and compliance questions:
- Email: Margaret.Anderson@state.co.us (preferred) Note: Ensure emails containing PHI or PII are sent encrypted.
- Phone: 303-866-5605