Health Insurance Buy-In (HIBI) is a premium assistance program for Health First Colorado (Colorado's Medicaid program) members. It sends monthly payments to you for all or a portion of the cost of your commercial health insurance premiums, and in some cases also reimburses you for deductibles, co-insurance, and co-payments. See the HIBI Fact Sheet for more information.
- You must qualify for Health First Colorado and have access to commercial health insurance.
- Qualifying for HIBI does not affect your Health First Colorado eligibility.
- Federal law requires employers to allow you to enroll in their group insurance within 60 days of when you are found eligible for HIBI, even if this occurs outside of your employer's usual open enrollment period.
- The annual cost of your commercial health insurance must be less than the estimated total cost of your annual medical expenses, out-of-pocket costs and administrative costs.
- You can have a high-cost medical condition and still be considered for this program.
- You do not need to have a catastrophic illness to be considered for this program.
Benefits and Services
- Monthly payments for a portion of the cost of your commercial health insurance premiums
- Benefits from both the HIBI program and Health First Colorado at the same time
- May also receive reimbursements for payments made toward deductibles, co-insurance, and co-payments if you are visiting a provider within your health insurance network.
- In some cases, COBRA continuation health insurance is offered for 18-36 months if you are a recently terminated employee. For more information, contact your benefits coordinator.
How To Apply
You can submit your HIBI application and documents the following ways:
- By fax: (855)226-4424
- By mail:1550 Larimer St. Box #1000, Denver, CO 80202, or
- Online at mycohibi.com
You must send in the following documents and information when you apply:
- Completed HIBI application
- A copy of the front and back of your insurance card
- Summary of benefits for your policy plan or desired policy plan
- Your health insurance rate sheet showing employee and employer costs for all tiers of coverage
- A recent paystub or other verification to show proof of your premium payment
‚Once you have applied:
- A determination letter will be mailed within 45 business days of submitting your application and other required documentation.
- If you qualify, you will receive monthly payments for a portion of your premium cost for as long as you are eligible for HIBI and are in good standing with the program.
- Ifat any point you no longer qualify for participation in HIBI, a letter will be mailed to you explaining why you no longer qualify.