In accordance with Senate Bill 19-005, passed in 2019, the Department of Health Care Policy & Financing (Department) has been developing a Canadian prescription drug importation program. The Federal Food Drug and Cosmetic Act (FDCA) Section 804 permits importation and reimportation of prescription drugs from Canada by a pharmacist or wholesaler, provided the drugs meet certain minimum standards, will pose no additional risk to the public's health and safety, and results in a significant reduction in costs to consumers. HHS can approve a program if these conditions are met. HCPF has released a program solicitation seeking vendors as part of the next steps in program development.
Release of Program Solicitation (Invitation to Negotiate)
- Invitation to Negotiate (ITN) - To find the ITN, click public access, and search for RFP number 2021000117 for Colorado's Drug Importation Program. If there are questions about the bidding process or this ITN, please contact Kate Rusk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Invitation to Negotiate Frequently Asked Questions
- Solicitation Timeline- The ITN released on January 25, 2021. Potential bidders may submit an "Intent to Bid" by April 12th.Bids are Due on April 26th.The Bid Evaluation and Negotiation Period begins April 27, 2021.Contracts will be awarded after the evaluation and negotiation period has ended.
- Press Release
- Colorado's Canadian Drug Importation Program Frequently Asked Questions (Updated)
- Importation Fact Sheet for Wholesalers (Updated)
- Program Overview - The state of Colorado has program oversight. We are seeking a vendor to perform administrative (oversight) functions. That vendor will perform oversight functions to the Foreign Seller (Canadian Wholesaler) and Colorado Importer (U.S. Wholesaler or Pharmacist), who is responsible for testing, relabeling, and drug distribution to participating pharmacies. Pharmacies dispense the imported prescription drugs to Colorado consumers.
Release of Draft Importation Program Application
Stakeholder Engagement Opportunities
Please check back regularly for upcoming stakeholder events.
Past Stakeholder Sessions
October 15, 2020
- Drug Importation in Colorado International Pricing Report - January 2021
- SB 19-005 Canadian Prescription Drug Importation Act
- Federal Statute Regarding Canadian Drug Importation (21 U.S.C. 384)
- Colorado's Canadian Drug Importation Program Frequently Asked Questions
- Importation Fact Sheet for Wholesalers
We encourage you to sign up for updates on our drug importation work. Please fill out the signup form to be added to our list.
We can also be contacted via email at HCPF_005DrugImportation@state.co.us.